These scriptural themes are key to the four sessions of Faith and the Climate Crisis. One passage will be introduced in each class session, along with the theme of the day. For enrichment in between sessions, please peruse the other passages and read the meditation for enrichment that is offered.
Session 1: Love
Recognizing God’s glorious creation, of which we are a part, includes both awe and grief.
- Biblical passage: Psalm 104:1-5, 14-33
- Related passages: Genesis 1:1-2:4a; Psalm 24; Psalm 147; Isaiah 24:4-6
- Meditation for enrichment: Psalms That Reflect on Human Life from workingpreacher.org
Session 2: Justice
As God’s people, we are called to protect the poor and powerless. This includes justice in all aspects contributing to well-being, including environmental circumstances.
- Biblical passage: Isaiah 58:1-12.
- Here is the presentation on Isaiah 58:
- Related passages: Isaiah 10:1-2; Ezekiel 34:17-22; Amos 5:21-24, Matthew 25:31-46
- Meditation for enrichment: Loose the Bonds from Presbyterian Hunger Program Post, Spring 2015
Session 3: Fairness
We are called to live simply, taking no more than our share, so that all may prosper.
- Biblical passage: Matthew 6:25-34
- Related passages: Luke 12:16-21; Ecclesiastes 5:10-15; Acts 4:32-37; Isaiah 65:17-25
- Meditation for enrichment: Excerpt from Inhabiting Eden, chapter 4
Session 4: Courage
Lifting our voices for change requires boldness in speaking truth to power.